Rory McIlroy argues with Scottie Scheffler verdict on LIV Golf stars returning to PGA Tour

New Photo - Rory McIlroy argues with Scottie Scheffler verdict on LIV Golf stars returning to PGA Tour

Rory McIlroy argues with Scottie Scheffler verdict on LIV Golf stars returning to PGA Tour Kylee HansenWed, August 19, 2026 at 9:03 PM UTC 0 Scheffler and McIlroy are in disagreement regarding LIV Golf stars possible return Credit:Getty Images Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler are not in agreement about whether LIV Golf stars should be permitted to return to the PGA Tour amid a potential shutdown.

Rory McIlroy argues with Scottie Scheffler verdict on LIV Golf stars returning to PGA Tour

Kylee HansenWed, August 19, 2026 at 9:03 PM UTC

0

Scheffler and McIlroy are in disagreement regarding LIV Golf stars possible return -Credit:Getty Images

Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler are not in agreement about whether LIV Golf stars should be permitted to return to the PGA Tour amid a potential shutdown.

LIV Golf is facing a serious financial problem, and some players are set to make a return to the DP World Tour following the 2026 season, despite Scott O’Neill finding a new investor after the PIF backed out in the middle of the year.

O'Neill faced the media on Wednesday and insisted he was confident about the future of LIV - but refused to rule out bankruptcy as an option amid increased scrutiny.

• PGA Tour star reveals 'secret' fix to arrest issue ahead of BMW Championship

• ESPN confirms Ryan Clark's replacement on Monday Night Countdown after brutal firing

Since bursting onto the scene in 2022, LIV Golf successfully recruited several high-profile players from the American circuit. While stars like Bryson DeChambeau, Jon Rahm, and Phil Mickelson made the jump, Brooks Koepka eventually returned through the returning membership program established by Brian Rolapp in February. However, that door has shut.

McIlroy has always been outspoken regarding his dislike for the circuit, while Scheffler tends to keep his opinions slightly more neutral.

“I think, like, when we talk about the best players, you know, LIV has a few players that are really good,” said Scheffler.

“I think the depth that we have on our Tour is a bit unmatched, but I think when you look at the higher levels of LIV Golf there's definitely some players that would provide a lot of value to the Tour, and guys that I love competing against as well,” said Scheffler.

Advertisement

McIlroy’s brain is elsewhere.

“I mean, I would argue, have they brought value to LIV? You know? I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot," said McIlroy.

Scheffler and McIlroy have been the face of the PGA Tour for years -Credit:Getty Images

But, Scheffler persisted, noting that the best players together competing is necessary for top-profits and fan happiness. But, there should be a consequence.

“So I think going forward there obviously has to be, I think, some sort of penalties. What those are, I'll let Rolapp and all those guys figure it out,” said Scheffler.

Koepka returned in February with major penalities, including no sponsor exemptions into signature events and he had to make a mega donation to charity.

• Jason Kelce pleads with NFL fans to send urine to AI data centers

• Scottie Scheffler explains why he still 'looks up' to Rory McIlroy in glowing tribute

“We have great leadership within the Tour now. But I think having those guys come back and compete with whatever happens with LIV, whether those guys want to leave, I mean, you got to ask them,” continued Scheffler.

LIV Golf is nearing bankruptcy, as they reportedly owe Rahm around $150 million, but Scheffler wants to see everyone back together at some point.

“But I think for me being able to compete against the best players in the world there's certainly some guys on that Tour that can compete out here and I look forward to the chance to compete with them more often,” said Scheffler.

Original Article on Source

Source: "AOL Sports"

Read More


Source: Sports

Published: August 20, 2026 at 12:28AM on Source: ALPHA MAG

#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle

 

VOUX SPACE © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com